Policing News

Policing News is updated on a weekly basis

Policing News

Daisy Mae Burrill: Fleetwood dad convicted of daughter's murder

A father who admitted throwing his crying baby onto the sofa in a fit of temper has been convicted of murder. Two-month-old Daisy Mae Burrill died three days after John Burrill fractured his daughter's skull in Fleetwood, Lancashire. The prosecution said her injuries were consistent with being gripped by the legs and swung against a hard surface. The 31-year-old had admitted manslaughter at Preston Crown Court but a jury found him guilty of murder. He had initially told medical staff and police the infant became limp but he could not explain why.

Liverpool shooting: Man found in street with fatal shotgun wounds

A man was found in a Liverpool street with fatal gunshot wounds to his head. Blake Brown, 30, believed to be from Croxteth, was found lying in Southwood Road, Aigburth, at 22:20 BST on Monday. He was taken to hospital but later died. Detectives said it was believed to be a "targeted incident". A murder inquiry has begun and police are urging witnesses to contact them. Two or three men ran off down St Michael's Road and towards Moel Famau View, police said. A post-mortem examination confirmed the victim died from gunshot wounds. Southwood Road and Bryanston Road have been cordoned off for forensic investigations to take place.

Two bodies found after 'hoarders' house fire in Allerton

Two bodies have been found in a burned-out house in Liverpool. Firefighters were called to the house in Mather Avenue, Allerton, on Sunday after a call from a passing motorist who had seen smoke. Merseyside Fire and Rescue Service said an elderly couple with "significant" quantities of "hoarded material" were believed to be in the house. The house was "stacked from ceiling to floor with little or no circulation space", he added. The fire caused the roof to collapsed on to the first floor, which then collapsed on to the ground floor. The building was being taken down to enable a joint investigation of the scene by police and fire officers. A Merseyside Fire spokesman said during that process, the body of a dead man was found, and a short time later, the body of a woman was discovered nearby.

'Lotto rapist' Iorworth Hoare guilty of resisting arrest

A convicted rapist who won £7m on the lottery refused to co-operate with police because he was a "multi-millionaire", a court has heard. Iorworth Hoare, 64, told a court officers who came to question him about a flashing allegation were jealous of his lifestyle. During his arrest he told police: "I'm a multi-millionaire, I'm not going anywhere," magistrates were told. Hoare was found guilty of resisting arrest and jailed for a day. He was also ordered to pay £650 costs. The flashing charge was later dropped.

Two men sought after woman raped in Aldershot underpass

A 53-year-old woman was raped after two men followed her into an underpass in Aldershot. Police said the attack happened between 01:30 and 02:10 BST on 19 July as the woman was walking near the Tesco supermarket in Wellington Avenue. The woman reported that two men followed her into the underpass before one of them raped her. Hampshire Constabulary has now issued CCTV images of two men they want to speak to. The first man is white, about 25 years old and 6ft tall, and had very dark brown short hair. He was wearing a white top, white pumps and navy blue shorts. The second man has tanned skin, is in his 20s and about 5ft 6ins tall, with short dark hair. He was wearing dark blue jeans and a t-shirt.

PC Gordon Semple death: Stefano Brizzi 'spent days' with body

A man accused of cooking and eating parts of a police officer told detectives he spent "days" dealing with the body, a court has heard. Stefano Brizzi, 50, is accused of strangling PC Gordon Semple, 59, and attempting to dispose of the remains in an acid bath. He told detectives he "thought he was getting away with it" when he cut up Mr Semple's body, jurors heard. Mr Brizzi denies murder, claiming the PC died in a "sex game gone wrong". Jurors watched video footage of Mr Brizzi, 50, talking to officers following his arrest on 7 April. Six days earlier at his south London flat, he allegedly strangled Mr Semple, from Greenhithe, Kent. He was trying to dissolve dismembered body parts in an acid bath when police called round to investigate complaints of a putrid smell, the trial heard.


Sussex Police Federation is now on Twitter: